Sunday, July 26, 2015

Job Shadows: What You Saw, Part 2


Here's a sampling of some of the various job shadows done by you all (this will be updated as job shadow reports are turned in, so please check back frequently). Take a look and see what you can learn from everyone's visits. There's a lot of good stuff here to help you decide what you want to do with your lives; what you need to be doing to get there; and what to expect when you do get there.

Please give each one of these a quick read as they come in, will you?

*****
For my job shadow, I followed Jodi Friedman, who works as an editor at the Saginaw Daily News. The Saginaw Daily News is a primarily online publication, so one of Jodi’s primary duties is to update the Saginaw News home page “river”. Jodi explained that the river is the “must-reads” section at the top of the page, where readers are shown links to popular stories (http://www.mlive.com/saginaw/). She showed me how this was done and let me do it myself. Jodi is also responsible for feeding trending stories from Saginaw to the main river on the MLive website.

Jodi also passed me around to other people in her office. I got to meet three young writers who were only a few years older than me, and they gave me some helpful advice on getting jobs in the journalism field. They all advised me to get as many internships as soon as I could wherever I could.

Heather, who graduated from MSU just a few years ago, suggested I seek out an internship at the Lansing State Journal. That’s what she did when she was at MSU, and she was able to secure her job at Saginaw News through that internship. This was an important lesson for me, and I’ll definitely be seeking out an internship as soon as I can.

I enjoyed this experience, because I got to see how an online publication works. I’ve experienced print media to a certain extent, but I’ve never seen an how online media functions before. Since online news is the future of journalism, I think this was a valuable experience. Jodi explained that most publications in Michigan have shifted from print to online, so it’s much more likely that I’ll end up working with online media rather than print media.

No comments:

Post a Comment