Wednesday, October 29, 2014

JRN 200: What Journalism Is


Recently, a former State Newser asked me to review her personal statement as part of her MSU College of Law admission. And at the heart of her statement was what she learned being a journalist,  which I want you to consider for two reasons: first, it gets to what being a journalist is really about; it's not writing, it's about a responsibility to truth and community and getting out of your own comfort zone to do your job. Second, it's a literal example of how performing journalism can be used to demonstrate skills that apply to things that have nothing to do with journalism, and help you become anything but a journalist. Here we go:


My pen trembled in my hand as it hovered over the notebook and a list of questions.  I had been nervous for days — going over my notes and asking colleagues for tips —
as I prepared to conduct one of the toughest interviews I faced as a journalist. It was for a story about the B.R.A.D. Foundation, which sends out cards promoting safe drinking to young adults a few days before their 21st birthday. The program was set up by the parents of Bradley McCue, who died on his 21st birthday from ethanol poisoning. This interview would test all of the technical and interpersonal skills I had gained over the years from work and school.
            I had come a long way since one of my first interviews as a paid staff member of Michigan State University’s The State News. On those occasions, I simply read all my questions and failed to ask any follow-ups, resulting in me missing pertinent information. This taught me the importance of asking questions that build on the others. I had also learned a lot since my first story on a controversial political issue, affirmative action, a topic that I failed to thoroughly research prior to interviewing my main source. This taught me how research is critical before an interview. I made it a practice to come up with multiple ideas – more than I was required to have – every week at work. As a result, I quickly became someone other reporters could rely on for a story idea. The more I researched, interviewed, and wrote, the more I honed by ability to talk to others and be a skillful reporter overall.
             Looking back, I have to say that the interview process was initially the most challenging aspect of journalism for me because it is difficult talking to people who do not want to answer your questions. But, without a human source, the story or article never feels complete. So, I learned to relate to an interviewee, ask the right questions, and began enjoying the interview process. After four years of preparation, I had become ready to take on the toughest interview of my journalism career.
Mrs. McCue answered on the second ring. “Hello?” she said, in a cheery voice that lifted my spirits just a little. “Hi, this is Isabella from The State News. Is now a good time to talk?” I asked, knowing full well there is never a good time to talk about your deceased son. “Yes,” she said. I let out a deep breath, sounding shakier than I had expected.
My pen moved quickly as I went through the simple questions first to ease her into the interview and feel ready to open up, eventually leading up to “What do you think Bradley would make of this program if he were alive today?” Even after 14 years, his mother had a difficult time choking out the answers to these questions. I used a soft tone of voice to convey compassion for Mrs. McCue and make her feel comfortable enough to open up about her son. I paused between questions to give her time to respond and collect her thoughts. I also let her know how impressed I was with the program and all she had done to put her at ease and ensure that she was ready to discuss how the Foundation benefits young adults.
            About two weeks later, the story was published and I received positive feedback from both parents who wanted to send the B.R.A.D cards to their children and fellow students who were touched by Bradley’s story. In October 2013, I received a B.R.A.D. card of my own, which I keep on my bulletin board as a reminder of not only Bradley’s story, but also the accomplishment I felt in writing about him.
The article I wrote about the B.R.A.D. Foundation was symbolic of my personal development. I was first drawn to journalism in high school because of my love for writing, but I was unaware of how the journalistic goal of getting to the truth of a matter could have so much meaning until I started college. Being a journalist was my way of helping others, something I am passionate about. I loved receiving an email or phone call from someone I interviewed or who read my story and was impacted by it.
            I am now drawn to an education and a career in the field of law in part because, as an attorney, I will be able to use the very skills that enabled me to excel in journalism — engaging in critical thinking, painstaking research and challenging interviews — to help clients with their issues. At Michigan State University (MSU), I would benefit from opportunities to educate myself in a variety of legal fields. One area that I am interested in is animal law, given my lifelong passion for animals, and writing for the Journal of Animal & Natural Resource Law would be an amazing opportunity and a boost to my future legal career. I am also interested in MSU’s unique Indigenous Law Certificate Program, which would enable me to work with and help Native American tribes right here in Michigan. In addition, I plan to join MSU’s Moot Court and Trial Advocacy Board. I shadowed a defense attorney this past summer, and her work inspired me and made me feel more confident in my choice to pursue a law degree. I enjoyed being in the courtroom, and I want to learn and practice courtroom skills in Moot Court. Finally, I have attended MSU for almost four years, and I call East Lansing my home. There is no other school where I’d rather continue my education.
            It has been about a year and a half since I did my interview about the B.R.A.D. Foundation, and I’m now looking ahead to the challenges that I’ll face in my legal career. Five years from now I hope to be prepping for another type of interview — one where I am sitting across the room from a client in need of my legal services. I look forward to researching and sharing information and knowledge as a lawyer.

No comments:

Post a Comment