Thursday, April 6, 2017

Job Shadows:What You Saw, Part 3


I told my mom I had to do a job shadow and, luckily, her friend a friend of the wife of Ed Fernandez. Ed Fernandez is the VP and divisional manager for Scripps and oversees the Detroit, Lansing, Cleveland, Denver, Green Bay, and Milwaukee markets. He put in contact with Karen Podrasky, the news operations coordinator for WXYZ Channel 7 Action News in Detroit. I had been emailing for a couple weeks discussing what I’d be doing when I went to shadow. She emailed me my itinerary for the day that consisted of many different things and places I’d get to observe.



I arrived at 8am at their studio in Detroit. From there, I went and sat in the studio and watched the anchors perform in the newsroom. It was very cool because I had never had the opportunity to sit so close to the anchors during a live show. Especially since anchoring is what I’d like to do, it was really cool to see them in role.



After that, I went and sat in the control room for a little as they rapped the show up. I had sat in a control room before in NYC; this one was smaller. It was very fast paced yet calm at the same time. Even though I couldn’t understand half the things they said or did, it was very cool to watch the people who put the show together live.



At 9:05am I sat in on the morning plan meeting. This was where they discussed topics for the next show. I sat in one in NYC as well, but this was simpler and smaller. They wrote ideas down on a white board, mostly ones they had already mentioned in the show and were doing updates for or making longer packages for each piece.



At 9:30am I observed a women who worked in the assignment desk. The assignment desk was where they got all their story ideas. People would send ideas in, they were forwarded emails, they made phone calls, listened to police radio; many things at once. She told me multi-tasking is a must in this business. She basically found out story ideas and then called around and tried to find more information about it to see if it is developed enough to be a story.



After that, I had a short meeting with someone about staying ahead of the competition. If I’m being honest I don’t remember his title because there were at least 20 different people in 20 different jobs during my time at WXYZ. We talked about what to expect from this business and the different things that he does to make the show work. He gave me a lot of valuable information and tips I will use to help myself in the future.



At 10am, I sat down with someone in the social media part of the studio and he showed me some different ways they communicate online. He showed me their website, Facebook, Twitter, etc. He also showed me the viewers they receive. It was a website that showed how many people went onto the website that day, where they clicked, the most clicked pieces, how many views, etc. For Facebook, it showed how many people it reached, how many interactions, shares, likes, etc. It was cool because I’ve always wondered how shows track that information.



At 10:30am I met in the “special projects” area. These were the reporters who go out and sh0ot, write, and interview. I met Ann Marie LaFlamme, who I recognized from the show. It was a smaller area where they were all sitting at their desks working. I also got some advice from them on the industry and what I should do during college.



10:45am was where I went to weather. This was probably the most interesting to me, not because of the content because weather isn’t where I want to go. It’s because I was able to meet and talk to Dave Rexroth, who I am very used to seeing on TV so it was really cool to actually meet him. He gave great advice about being an intern and always asking to do more so they remember your name. He gave great advice about how to stand above all and showed me some things about the green screen, which was cool to learn about.



I then went to creative services. I met with the director, a MSU alumni. He was very friendly and loved doing what he does. This part of the studio focused on the short advertisements you see during commercials. They ranged from promoting the show to a little sneak peak about a story coming up during the next newscast. He showed me many of the videos they put together that were broadcasted and it was really cool to meet the people who put those together because I never really thought about that part of the show.



At 11:45am I went in sat in the control room during the noon news. This was only a half-an-hour show but it was very quick. I sat next to someone, once again don’t exactly remember whom, but he was switching segments, making sure times were on, editing things really fast to be shown a minute later. He was a little behind schedule so he had a lot going on at once but somehow managed to make it all fit and work.



This was a cool thing to see because they had to make a major adjustment during commercial. The anchor was doing a piece with someone about dogs. Before they were supposed to go on air, the dog threw up on the interviewee so they had to figure out what to switch and when to switch. It was very interesting to watch it all work itself out and be able to get everything in they needed to.



After I sat down with a reporter for the show to get his story and how he got to where he is. It was interesting to hear because he was offered the job before he even graduated high school because of his internship. He talked about all the different areas in the studio he switched around to, from producing to reporting and so on.



Finally, to end my day I sat down with the news director of the station, Rhonda LaVelle. I told her what interested me, what I liked, why I wanted to work in this type of industry, etc. She was very nice and told me some different things I should do before it’s job time, like a lot of internships and standing above all.



Overall, it was interesting to go behind the scenes of WXYZ Channel 7 Action News Detroit. I was happy I was able to see all the different aspects of this field and meet with so many different people in different job types, surprising may MSU alumni. I learned a lot about this field and what I should do to make it. I learned it’s a lot of multitasking and staying on your feet, which I love. This experience was great and I’m very happy I was able to do it.


*****************************


For this assignment, I shadowed Alexander Alusheff, a business reporter with the Lansing State Journal.

I’ve shadowed Alusheff on an assignment once before with a coworker, and I’ve ran into him several times at events I’m covering. Alusheff has taught me a lot about city reporting and the industry, and it was a pleasure getting to work with him again.

This time, I followed Alusheff to the 2017 Green Light Michigan Business Model Competition, which was held at Wharton Center on March 29. We watched as a number of small start-ups pitched their ideas to a panel of judges seated at the front of an auditorium.

This was not an assignment for Alusheff, he said. Rather, this is something he often does in his spare time: patrolling for story ideas at his own volition. Alusheff said events like these typically don’t provide good coverage and are hit and miss, but can allow him to meet sources and see what kind of businesses are on the rise for future stories.

“LSJ… or any paper nowadays, is focused on you being a self starter,” Alusheff said. “You have to come up with your own story ideas, the days of you getting assigned stories are, you know, pretty much gone. Sometimes, breaking news will happen or you’ll get a press release… but most times, they want you to do all the work yourself because editors have a bunch of other stuff that they need to do, they can’t be worried about sending out story ideas too. So, once you’re out in the field, it’s your job to kinda get to know your community, get to know what people are talking about and see what would be worth… writing a story about on your own.”

MySwimPro, an Apple Watch app designed to help swimmers improve their performance and health, ended up taking the $40,000 first prize. Alusheff did reach out to them, but ended up not writing a story on them because he did not think his audience would be interested in an app, a team from Ann Arbor would not be relevant to his beat, and the app’s target audience is a small niche.

The endeavor was not a waste of time though, because Alusheff ran into a REO Town businessman he said he had been speaking with before and needed to talk to again to write a follow-up to a previous story.

This shadow helped me understand a bit better the weight of expectations on reporters’ shoulders in this day and age. Reporters are truly expected to be able to do anything, and typically to do it all. From coming up with story ideas, to being able to produce content for all mediums to being my own copy editor, learning to be self-sufficient will greatly prepare me for the industry.

Email: aalusheff@lsj.com

Phone: (517) 388-5973

No comments:

Post a Comment