Thursday, April 13, 2017

Job Shadows: What You Saw, Part 4


When I found out I needed to do a job shadow, I went to my twitter and went through every sports person I followed that was in the area. I came up with the perfect candidate, someone who works both online, print, radio, and broadcasting. On April 10th, I went on my job shadow with Graham Couch. Graham is a columnist for Lansing State Journal and explained to me that most of his days during this month consist of staying in his home office writing. So, we chose a day that he was going to a radio show and then an event at LSJ.



We met at a Biggby Coffee shop where we sat and talked about the different places he has worked and he gave some advice about being in the sports journalism industry.



After we chatted at Biggby, we headed into downtown Lansing to The Team 92.1 FM where Graham was scheduled to co-host a show. He let me into the room with them and I sat there through the radio show. Right before the show started, Michigan players Moe Wagner and D.J. Wilson declared for the NBA Draft. When they get news that that broke, they tried to get the guy who broke the news, Brendan Quinn on the show.



It was cool to see how right when the producer mentioned the draft nominees, everyone tried reaching Quinn to get him to call in on the show. It shows that things change so quickly and how they have to adapt what they’re going to talk about.



For a few segments during the show, I sat in the with producer in the control room and saw how everything was recorded and put on air. It was interesting because I’ve only been around TV stations, not radio, so it was a big difference but one that I enjoyed.



After the show ended, we rushed to the LSJ office where they were holding a “Meet the Editor” session where the public could come in to ask questions and voice concerns. Most mentioned how the newspaper had been reconfigured recently and most weren’t too happy with it. The editor had to explain that there wasn’t enough money for pages so they took what digital readers showed interest in the most (it’s the easiest to track she said) and put that into the paper. They were not too happy about this explanation, since many were of a certain age and didn’t use the media aspect of the LSJ.



This shadow was helpful because it showed me a different side of media than I was used to and showed that there are many different things that you can do inside journalism. Overall, I think it was a great experience and was very informative.



Graham Couch


Phone: (517) 528 – 2531

No comments:

Post a Comment