Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Job Shadows: What You Saw, Part 4

Here's a sampling of some of the various job shadows done by you all (this will be updated as job shadow reports are turned in, so please check back frequently). Take a look and see what you can learn from everyone's visits. There's a lot of good stuff here to help you decide what you want to do with your lives; what you need to be doing to get there; and what to expect when you do get there.

Please give each one of these a quick read as they come in, will you?

*****
For my job shadow I had the amazing opportunity to shadow Colette Boyd of Channel 5 news WNEM Colette is the news anchor for the morning and the noon news cast. I can admit I was a little nervous, but Colette is really sweet. I started off the day with a tour of the studio and I felt right at home. Me and Colette then sat down and talked for a few minutes and she showed me the script for the afternoon show and the process of who writes her script and how she edits it afterwards. 

I was passed around through the day and was invited by the producers to see firsthand how they plan the show and decide what goes in and what should be cut. I later on met Daphne DeLoren she is the meteorologist for Channel 5. One of the highlights of my day was she let me go through her segment and report the weather with the green screen. I had a lot of fun and learned it isn’t as easy as she makes it look. She told me how you have to know what you are talking about and to have high energy. I have seen some boring weather women/men but Daphne definitely changed my perspective.


After being passed around, I came back to Colette as she prepared for an interview. I sat in the anchors chair and watched as everything unfolded. I have to say the best thing was seeing behind the scenes. After the interview they set up for the afternoon news cast.  This was the most amazing thing ever. Since the show was live I saw how everyone conducted themselves. They never messed up everyone just kept going. When people at home are looking at a graphic the news anchor is steadily talking moving to another part of the set. During this I met the guy that ran the teleprompter he couldn’t miss a beat or else the show would be tragic.


I ended my day on a good note, I took pictures and Colette told me to never limit myself and to take every opportunity that presents itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment