Wednesday, June 17, 2015

JRN 200: In-Person Meetings And Job Shadows



At the start of the semester, I said I'd like to have a least two in-person meetings with you, with the first coming no later than the end of June.

Well, we're at mid-June. Time to start scheduling some appointments, folks.

For these, I just want the opportunity to go over your strengths and weaknesses so far, and get any input from you that you think is necessary to make sure you're not just passing the course, but really getting what I'm trying to teach. I think the sessions should take no more than 20 or 30 minutes each, though if you'd like to go longer, we can.

Appointments will be available between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m., Mondays through Thursdays. I can also do some Fridays; please check for availability.

For those of you in or around East Lansing or planning a trip here, I'm located at The State News building, 435 E. Grand River Ave., which is at the corner of Grand River and Division, next to the SBS Bookstore.

For those of you not in the area and with no plans to come into the area we can do these sessions over the phone. We still need to schedule a time and date in which to do the phone overview, though.

You are responsible for contacting me by email or phone to schedule a time to do this. Please get it done here in the very near future.

Also, I have heard from very few people regarding the job shadow assignment. Again, I'm not going to chase down everybody regarding this; it's up to you to find and then follow a media professional for at least an hour or two, and then write a report on what you experienced and what you got out of it.

Before that, I need you to tell me your proposed job shadow plan by email, and have it approved by me before you do it. 
 
Your job shadow proposal will be due via mail to omars@msu.edu by 9 a.m. Friday, June 26. The job shadow report will be due via email to omars@msu.edu by 9 a.m. Monday, Aug. 17 (the start of the last week of class).
I must warn you, quite often people strike out on their first or second choices, and getting an agreement and setting and date and time take some time. So, I STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE TO DO ANY OF THIS!

If you simply do and write about an approved job shadow, it's an easy 4.0. If you don't, it's a 0.0 that has the potential to knock your final semester grade down a peg. Don't miss an easy opportunity to improve your grade AND at the same time, get into a professional environment and start making professional contacts.

No comments:

Post a Comment