Tuesday, May 26, 2015

RFTM: Lectures Online

During the regular school year, we have a routine that goes like this: we have a homework reading assignment from Reporting For The Media (or RFTM, for short); we then lecture that reading to highlight key points in the following class; then we do a writing exercise that specifically addresses the areas of reporting and writing form the reading and lecture; then we review our work and see what we did well, and what we can do better.

Obviously, with this being an online class, we can't do lectures in the traditional style. And I see videotaped lectures being kinda long and pointless; in lectures I like having people ask questions as we go, something that we can't really do via video. And watching a video simply takes much longer than simply reading what I consider to be the key points.

So, instead of lectures starting today what I'm going to do is post blog summaries of key points from each reading. Each chapter will have its own post. Please go over the posts after (and not instead of) your readings, so you can get a sense of what I'm trying to emphasize. If anything is unclear to you or needs elaboration, please email me at omars@msu.edu ASAP so I can address that with you.

Okay, off we go:

No comments:

Post a Comment