Wednesday, August 13, 2014

JRN 200: Job + You = Job Shadows


Here's the latest job shadow reports I've received; they will each be posted as I receive 'em.  Take a look and see what you can learn from everyone's visits. There's a lot of good stuff here to help you decide what you want to do with your lives; what you need to be doing to get there; and what to expect when you do get there.

Please give each one of these a quick read, will you?


***** 

I decided to shadow the news anchor Chivon Kloepfer of WLNS TV 6 News on July 16, 2014.



I greeted Chivon at 9 a.m. that morning and she gave me a tour of the WLNS News Station in Lansing, Mich.



Chivon showed me the meeting room, the production rooms, the office where all the new anchors, weather team, directors, producers, and interns edit and put their stories together, the make-up room, and the studio where the news is recorded live.



At 10 a.m. I was allowed to sit in a reporters meeting where they discuss with the director what stories they will cover at what time, the stories they need to gather more information about, and they pitch ideas to one another to make sure they have relevant and news worthy topics.



The meeting was really laid back and it showed how the reporters really work together.



The director was also very vocal in making sure the stories were good for the show. The director said, People only hear a tenth of what you say so make sure you get your point across.



Chivon and I then returned to big office where the reporters sit and edit stories, get ready for their show, prepare packages to air during the news, and so much more.



During the 11:00 hour, Chivon edits her stories for the noon show. She types up what she will say and she reads all the stories that she cover at noon.



Chivons producer returns from a separate meeting and puts the rest of the noon show together.



At 11:55 a.m. Chivon and I go into the news room so she can report the news live on WLNS TV 6.



I was able to watch the entire production in a seat right next to the cameras that were filming.



I could tell that Chivon had been doing this for a while.



The show was approximately 30 minutes and then it was done.



I really enjoyed my time there and it gave me a whole new appreciation for what reporters have to do on a day-to-day basis.



This was a great experience.



No comments:

Post a Comment